Are you Prepared?
Wildfire and Power interruptions (eg: loss of heating in winter) are the main threats.
How will you be notified?
The Town of Fort Smith utilizes several methods of communicating with residents in the event of an emergency. Residents can expect to be notified through Fort Smith's Emergency Alert System (please sign up with link below), social media, the Town website, local radio (eg: CBC FM 97.9), loud speaker announcements throughout the town via emergency vehicles and door-to-door checks.
Sign up for Fort Smith's Emergency Alert System - https://www.fortsmith.ca/emergency-communication-updates.
Types of notifications:
- Shelter in Place: Depending on the emergency residents may be advised to shelter in place which would include sheltering in residence or a designated evacuation / reception centre (eg: Town Recreation Centre). This method will be used when evacuation is not required or practical.
- Evacuation Alert: Authorities will alert the public at risk of the potential for evacuation because of the danger of possible loss of life and they should prepare to evacuate the area. This warning will be transmitted by:
- Door to door campaign with pamphlets delivered
- Radio broadcast on CBC (FM 97.9)
- Mobile public address announcements
- Evacuation Order: Mandatory evacuation will be ordered if required. It means you must leave the area immediately. All persons in the affected area will be required to leave the area. The police will enforce the Evacuation Order.
- All Clear: When the emergency is under control and it is declared safe to return to the area, a retraction of the evacuation order will be implemented. Check CBC Radio (FM 97.9), www.fortsmith.ca, and https://www.facebook.com/fortsmithnwt/
How to be prepared:
- Households should have the Town of Fort Smith's Emergency Registration Form pre-filled out. These documents allow for streamlined evacuation in the event of an Evacuation Order. See copy in documents below.
- Always have your vehicle fueled to at least 3/4 of a tank.
- Have an emergency go-bag ready with water, snacks, and personal belongings required for an evacuation.
- Monitor one of the several methods of notifications including the Town of Fort Smith website, local radio (eg. CBC FM 97.9), and Town of Fort Smith social media accounts.
- Keep your property Fire Smart, see brochure in documents below.
Emergency Phone Numbers:
RCMP - 872-1111
FIRE DEPARTMENT - 872-2222
AMBULANCE - 872-3111
TERRITORIAL 24-HOUR FIRE REPORTING LINE - 1-877-698-3473
Non-Emergency Contact Information
For questions or more information please contact our Fire/EMS Chief at email@example.com or 867-872-2674.
Your Emergency Preparedness Guide is available from the Canadian Government Click Here
See below for related Town of Fort Smith and Government of the Northwest Territories emergency documents.