As the Coronavirus Disease: COVID-19 outbreak continues to evolve around the world, the Town of Fort Smith is working with partners to manage any impacts within our community. This includes working with the Government of the Northwest Territories and residents to plan for and mitigate impacts, and ensure accesss to local essential services.
The GNWT Department of Health and Social Services is the lead for information and response to pandemic planning in the NWT. Get the latest updates from the GNWT Department of Health and Social Services or the Government of Canada about (COVID–19).
The Town of Fort Smith will be issuing public notices to provide more information as the situation progresses.
What is the Town of Fort Smith doing to prepare?
- Closure of recreation facilities to keep people safe and stop gathering of people in public spaces
- Ensuring social distancing protocols are in place for Town of Fort Smith staff
- Send all non-essential staff home to work, keeping Town of Fort Smith staff that provide essential services such as water services, garbage pick-up, street clearing, fire department and ambulance services.
- Providing up to date information to Fort Smith residents.
Go to the News section on the Town of Fort Smith website for the latest information and notices: https://www.fortsmith.ca/news
Visit the Town of Fort Smith Coronavirus Disease - (COVID-19) page for regular updates: https://www.fortsmith.ca/coronavirus-disease-covid-19 - see information in documents listed below.
How can I protect myself and others around me?
Everyone has a role to play. There are a number of best practices to prevent it and how to try to keep it from spreading if you do get the virus, including:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or hand sanitizer, particularly after sneezing, blowing your nose or coughing.
- Clean and disinfect in your home
- Stay home if you are sick
- If you are sick, avoid close contact with others
- Turn away and cover your nose/mouth when you sneeze/cough with a disposable tissue, or sneeze/cough into your elbow
- Throw used tissues into the garbage
What should I do if I develop symptoms of COVID-19?
Symptoms include fever, cough, difficulty breathing.
Continue to isolate yourself and call the Fort Smith Health Centre at: 867-621-2233 and 867-872-0562
If your symptoms are severe call 9-1-1
How do I stay informed?
There is a lot of information available on COVID-19 and we urge you to keep informed through official websites such as the Government of Canada Public Health Services or the GNWT Public Health Services.